Thursday, March 24, 2016

Spending Money to Save Money

Spending money to save money.
I’m not alone in this boat: I’m a college student and the amount of debt I have is overwhelming. I just received a paycheck from my part time job, and I now have $250 which must last me two weeks. I need to refill my dorm room’s refrigerator and food shelf. I am also in need of a new business professional outfit for a college event. My friends and I are planning to go out for dinner one night for a birthday. I know $50 must be set aside for the dinner and pitching in for the group gift. This leaves me with $200 to spend on groceries and the new professional outfit.
                  Groceries can be bought at discounted prices with coupons, and certain reality TV shows have shown us that using coupons to the extreme can make these groceries virtually free. But extreme couponing requires time that I don’t have as a college student. I am in class all day, studying at night and working the weekend.
                  Clipping coupons from the paper can be a great way to save money, but it’s not the only way. I utilize a different method of saving money: loyalty rewards.
                  When checking out at Kmart or Sears stores, the first thing the cashier will do is ask you for your phone number. The reason for this is to look up your Shop Your Way Rewards. Shop Your Way Rewards, also referred to as Shop Your Way, is a free loyalty program provided by Kmart and Sears, for use both in store online, that is literally the same thing as free money.
                  Here’s how it works. When you spend a dollar, you receive 10 points. When you have 1,000 points, it is equivalent to a dollar that can be used as money when paying in store or online at any Kmart or Sears. Essentially, for every dollar you spend, you receive one cent in points, which is 1% back in points.
                  This may not seem like a very efficient way to save money. However, Shop Your Way offers ways to save substantially, which is through their coupons.
                  By downloading the Shop Your Way app onto my smartphone, I can pull up the coupons that are given to me. I can have the cashier scan the coupons right from my phone at checkout.
                  Some coupons are immediate savings, such as $5 off your purchase of $50 or more. But these coupons usually only represent a 10% savings. I prefer the coupons that give you extra points back. Three examples of these are 20% back in points on your next purchase, $10 back in points on your next purchase of $20 or more, and my favorite, $20 back in points on your next purchase of $20 or more.
                  I found all three of those coupons on my phone, and was ready to go shopping for what I needed with my $200.
                  After shopping around at Sears, I found a professional outfit. It would cost me $100, and at checkout I used my coupon for 20% back in points. I then had $20 in Shop Your Way points.
                  Then, I went to Kmart. After shopping in the grocery section, I was ready to checkout with $100 worth of groceries, which is about two weeks’ worth of food.
                  Only one Shop Your Way coupon can be used in a transaction, so I tell the cashier that I will need three transactions. In the first transaction, I spend $25 and use a coupon to get $10 back in points. In the second transaction, I spend $25 again, and use a coupon to get $20 back in points. After the second transaction, I had $50 in points. I then ring up the remaining $50 worth of groceries, and pay with my points instead of money.
                  This technique is one I use on a regular basis. I am able to save hundreds of dollars in a few months. In this one instance I was able to save $50. Although it may be different than traditional coupon clipping, I still can walk out of the store with a large amounts of groceries which I received at a much lower price.  This method is great because it consumes much less time, but still gives substantial savings, which is perfect for a college student!
Spending money to save money.

This essay was written for a scholarship application, hosted by
Thank you for reading and considering me for the scholarship!

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment